Monday, November 7, 2011

Carolyn Quartermaine's Fabric Collection and How to Get These Looks for Less



     Source

“Color is fundamental, it’s beautiful.
It enriches our lives.” - Carolyn Quartermaine

I have been head-over-heels in love with French Script fabrics for ages - ever since I saw this type of fabric on a French chair in a design magazine many years ago.  It was Carolyn Quartermaine's fabric - love at first sight. It's not just the French aspect - it's her use of color and pattern with the script that is so engaging.  Her clear, beautiful hues make whatever they are covering the star of the room. The script also lends a textural quality to the fabrics. 

I was probably drawn to her fabrics because I see "artist" written all over her work (pardon the pun).  In fact, she is an artist and she started out using 17th century French calligraphy, that she found and was attracted to, in her artwork that she exhibited in galleries.  You can read a great interview with her on Haute Home


     Source

Above you'll see her "Flowers" collection.  It's feminine, colorful and romantic - it makes me want to start on my Master Bedroom right away.  We can all use a little extra romance in our lives, right?

How can you bring this feeling into your home - without the large pricetag?

While there's nothing like the real thing, you can bring the feeling of her fabrics into your home without spending an arm and a leg.  I've purchased several pillows and chairs with some lovely French Script fabric at HomeGoods and other discount stores.  So, be on the lookout.  You can score some beautiful finds without breaking the bank.



I used these French Script chairs I found in Home Goods recently in a home in Belle Terre NY


I've seen some great pillows with French Script in the Ballard catalogue - and they also sell the fabric there as well.  It's a bit pricey - but I did find a less expensive version (I think it's $19.98 per yard) at Lewis & Sheron fabrics.  A big Thank You to Joni Webb of Cote de Texas for introducing me to this store. 


                                       Source


Put this beautiful, but more budget-friendly fabric, on a painted chair or splash it on your dining room table - with a vase of red roses, antique candlesticks and set the table with gold chargers and colorful dinnerware - and you'll have the recipe for a colorful room...for less.

Let me know if you have used any French Script fabrics in your home. Would love to see your photos. If you would like some help in getting this look, call me at 631 793-1315. 

Live your best "Colorful Life!"

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

Fabric is usually so expensive. Thanks for the great tips!

- From a fellow BYW'er

Linda Leyble said...

Hey thanks for your comment Rebekah. Glad I could help. I know that I looked for these fabrics when I first saw them - and they were quite prohibitive.

I will check out your blog too. Thanks for stopping by!

Linda

Yael Bolender said...

I arrive a little late with this comment, but I just wanted to say that even if the calligraphy is an old French calligraphy, it is not some "French Design". Carolyn Quartermaine is English. She was inspired by some French lettering, but she is so English. I am French myself, and I can tell you, the French designers would never do what she does, and consider this as a huge compliment. Carolyn Quartermaine speaks French because she spent a lot of time in Switzerland, yes, she has a house in the South of France, yes, she exhibited at the Musee de la Toile de Jouy, near Paris, where I went to see, and it was wonderful, but she is absolutely English and she is delicate as many English designers. For example, I see a common point between Rachel Ashwell and Carolyn Quartermaine. Probably the feminine and elegant touch. Both English.
I just wanted to precise that, because as French woman living now in the US, I always regretted that the French designers don't have the same imagination and elegance as Carolyn...
Just a precision.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...