Saturday, April 28, 2012

Another Decorative Idea for Wainscoting: Raised Stenciling Over Stried Texture

Hi Everyone...

I just wanted to do a quick blog post while I'm away in CA.  I have to go back to this home to take better photos...but I thought I'd share another idea for panels in wainscoting.

A friend of mine, interior designer, Rosemarie Spratt, wanted something very special for her entryway - she wanted it to be drop dead gorgeous!  Oh boy - not too much to ask of me, right? We first used a cinnamon color on her walls - and then troweled on a metallic plaster in a brown suede color from Modern Masters on her walls.

1) For the wainscoting panels - you can use any texture you'd like, but I used a mixture of two products from Faux Effects - 1 part PlasterTex and 1 part Softex.  I rolled it on and then I took a wallpaper brush and stried the texture to form a vertical design.


Before...Nice, but Plain!


During

2) Then, after it was dry, I did an embossed stencil.  I used two designs from Royal Design Studio - Delicate Floral Panels.  Size-wise, they fit these panels perfectly.  To get the raised design, I used PlasterTex as the texture.  Then, I let it dry.
3) I painted all the panels with a bronzey/copper metallic paint.  Again, you can use any one that you'd like but I used two mixed colors of Faux Effects' Metal Glow paint.

4) When that was dry, I antiqued all the panels with a dark brown glaze.



The Entryway After

5) For the final touch, I antiqued all the moldings with the same dark brown glaze.  

Here are some other pics from the project...



















And here's a peek into her powder room, while I will blog about very soon!!





This was a fairly huge entryway, so the entire project took about 8 days to do.  But - it was so worth it - Rosemarie loves her entryway - and that's the most important thing, right?  

I promise to go back and re-shoot this project.  So, please return again soon to see more pictures of this gorgeous room.

Thanks for looking! You also may want to see another way I decorated wainscoting - with burlap...HERE

I'll be linking this project up to...













19 comments:

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Linda: Oh, so elegant. Just beautiful and I look forward to seeing more..Happy Weekend..Judy

Wild Oak Designs said...

What an amazing artist you are!! 8 days, you are a great friend too....Simply amazing....
Nancy
wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

WOW! You are very talented! Beautiful entryway.

Abby said...

Lovely! That's a beautiful entry

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Your entry is gorgeous! Very creative.. I'm a New Follower.

Jody

Maggie said...

Welcome to California - hope your time here is wonderful and adventurous!

Love that entry - those stencils are gorgeous and just perfect to the Foyer space. Kudos!!

Linda Leyble said...

Thanks - I see that you have a link party. Will join up!

Linda

Linda Leyble said...

Thanks so much!

Linda Leyble said...

Thanks for your lovely comments!

Mitzi said...

My first visit here....I think you've posted some wonderful projects, and have a gorgeous site! Thanks for stopping by to "introduce" yourself today!

Linda Leyble said...

Thanks Mitzi - I love your blog as well

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

I have been wanting to work with some plaster on my furniture. Love the technique. Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie@New Again said...

That looks beautiful!! Now following. :)

Frugal Jen said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I just love all your wonderful painting. I could use some help at my house!

Peggy~PJH Designs said...

Hi Linda, Wow that entryway is gorgeous! I love everything about it but especially the stencil. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving kind words about my kitchen remodel. Have a great week.

Tanna said...

Impressive!! thanks so much for your visit and leaving your sweet comments so i could find my way here!! great job! blessings ~ tanna

Peggy @The Decorating Files said...

Beautiful work! It's amazing that you did all of that in only 8 days. Bravo!

Unknown said...

Wow you did a great job! It looks amazing. I'm a new follower and would love if you followed me back at www.iheartpears.blogspot.com

Our DIY Diaries said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...